Young people are always in a hurry

Photo by Bradley Wentzel on Unsplash

Today I read something very interesting in a book, something I've heard before but just brushed off. What I read, went something like this:

"... for some reason, young people are in such a hurry. It's like they are afraid to miss a train no one knows will come or not." 

Is that not interesting? I'm 28 years old, which is still young, if you ask me, and I feel that I'm in a hurry all the time. Why? I realised that, I don't even know why. I don't know what I think will happen if I ever catch that train. Maybe that I will be the happiest person on earth? But then what? Right? Isn't life all about the chase and the dreams? About the memories and the people? So ... why am I in such a hurry?

Could it be because of something that has been rooted in us from a very young age. When I was 8 years old, I remember thinking "when I'm 18 years old, I'm going to have my own place" or "'when I'm 25 years old, I will have at least two babies" or "when I'm 30 years old, I'm going to live in a big house and be married with my prince charming" and so on. The older I become, I realise that life is not black and white. All of a sudden I understand that you can not control everything. (Whaaaaat??).

This could (MAYBE) be the reason why young people are trying to do everything at once. We have realised that time will not wait for us. And that's scary. And we want to live.

I just hope that we don't forget to appreciate life here and now. If we forget to be present in the moment we are in, we will not have strong enough memories to look back at. If you truly want to create meaningful moments in life, I think we need to experience here and now with all our senses. So, a lesson (at least for me) here is to make every day count, be respected and appreciated.




Comments