Stop smoking at the train stations!


Photo by Sunrise on Unsplash

Clouds of smoke is being blown out from every direction. It makes me feel sick and there is nowhere for me to hide. From every direction I can see a new person that is blowing out smoke and coughs. There is nowhere for me to go.

It really should be forbidden to smoke at train stations. Just because you're outside it does not mean that your smokey cloud will go up and then disappear. Being involuntarily a passive smoker makes me angry, it pisses me off to be honest. It feels like everyone around me are taking my choices away. Is not my right not to smoke? Those who smoke might answer "but is it not my right to smoke?". Sure, you also have rights and therefore the right to make your own choices ... but have you thought that this choice of yours is actually harming others? If you affect the health of people around you negatively with your smoking, is it really alright then? In this case, I'm not talking about smoking in all the places of the world, but in those places where I can not even hide from your smoke cloud. I'm talking about train stations, bus routes, courtyards, the line/queue to a nightclub and so on. In those situations where the surface is limited, these are places I want you as a smoker to respect my health.

I'm not a smoker myself but my mother has smoked throughout my life so I know how it is to live with someone who smokes. In the beginning she used to smoke inside our apartment which was very common at that time, a time when you didn't know better. There are those who still choose to smoke inside their home, especially when it's too cold outside. This will not only result in a "toxic air" in the home but also, all of the furnitures and clothes will be affected too– turns to yellow or smell badly – and let us not forget the people who lives in your home. When I started to bleed from my nose too often, my mother started to feel bad about her smoking, so she started to go out on the balcony instead. It got better but I would rarely enjoy myself at the balcony during the summers. It was like it was her place now. I love my mom and today she tries to reduce the number of cigarettes that she burns each day.

I'm not sitting here and writing about how you as a smoker is suppose to live your life. You are allowed to smoke if you are okay with the consequences that comes with it - the consequences that affects you and those around you. But give people like me at least a choice. Do not smoke at the train stations where I can not hide from your toxic smoke clouds. Thanks.




[IN SWEDISH] 

Sluta rök på tågstationerna!

Rökmolnen puffas ut från alla håll. Det får mig att må illa och det finns ingenstans där jag kan gömma mig. Från varje riktning kommer en ny person som puffar och hostar. Det finns ingenstans för mig att gå.

Det borde verkligen bli förbjudet att röka på tågstationer. Bara för att man är utomhus betyder det inte att rökmolnen åker upp och iväg. Att bli ofrivilligt en passiv rökare gör mig arg, förbannad om jag ska vara ärlig. Det är som att någon annan tar ifrån mig mina val. Är det inte min rättighet att inte röka? De som röker kanske skulle svara ”men är det inte min rätt att röka?”. Visst, du har också rättigheter och därmed rätt att göra egna val men har du tänkt på att just detta skadar andra? Om du påverkar hälsan på människor omkring dig negativt med din rökning, är det verkligen okej då? I just det här fallet talar jag inte om rökning på alla jordens platser utan på de platser där jag inte ens kan gömma mig från ditt rökmoln. Jag pratar om tågstationer, busskurer, innegårdar, kön till en nattklubb och så vidare. I dessa situationer där ytan är begränsad, det är dessa platser jag vill att du som rökare respekterar min hälsa.

Jag är inte rökare själv men min mamma har rökt i hela mitt liv så jag vet hur det är att leva med någon som röker. I början rökte hon inomhus vilket var mycket vanligt på den tiden, innan man visste bättre. Det finns de som fortfarande väljer att röka inomhus, speciellt när det är för kallt utomhus. Det blir inte bara en dålig luft i hemmet, alla möbler och kläder påverkas också genom att börja gulna eller lukta illa. När jag som liten började blöda näsblod väldigt ofta och må dåligt över mammas rökande så började hon gå ut på balkongen istället. Det blev bättre men det var sällan jag själv ville njuta på balkongen under sommaren. Det var som att det nu var hennes plats. Jag älskar min mamma och idag försöker hon minska på antalet cigaretter hon bränner per dag.

Jag sitter inte här och skriver om hur du ska leva ditt liv. Du får röka om du tycker att det är okej för dig med de följder som kommer med — för dig och de omkring. Men ge oss andra omkring dig åtminstone ett val. Rök inte på tågstationerna där jag inte kan gömma mig från ditt giftiga rökmoln. Tack.

Comments