Birth control pills – Could mess up your period?

I have been on birth control pills since I was 15 years old, today I'm 28. Never have I ever been told that it would become a problem if I stopped taking them. But it did. I don't have "rich" periods anymore and it feels unnatural to me – I understand, it has just been 3-4 months, but still. Me and Sam are not planning to have a baby today, but it's hard to process the fact that it might not be easy to get pregnant once we are ready. I have always wanted children, what if it never happens? When will my period get back to normal?

Every year when I went back to my doctor they just took my blood pressure, and then gave me another year of birth control pills. Now, I have stopped taking my pills because I want to get back to a normal cycle, or at least to a more natural rhythm. What happened is that my period stopped coming as it used to (as when I was on my pills). Now, I haven't had my period since like .. 65 days ago? No, I'm not pregnant so it's not that. I have, of course, researched a bit about it and I can't believe what I'm reading ... Many women who have gone off their pills are now having problems with getting pregnant or/and getting their period back fully. It seems to me that it, most times, traces back to birth control pills. I don't understand how my doctor NEVER EVER warned me about this. I wanted to stop taking the pills much sooner but my doctor then said "No, you should not do it until you're planning to have a baby". That, in my opinion, is not okay.

We should get more information about the consequences about putting hormones in our bodies, that maybe should not be there. Because there's too little information about what happens to our bodies, and all we do is trusting medical people because ... why should we not be able to trust professionals? I know that we should always try to research a bit ourselves, but sometimes it's not that easy. We should not have to worry about medical care. Yes, sometimes not even the doctors know, but it's their duty to share ALL of the risks and options with their patients. No?


Comments