School should prepare us for the the adult world ... no?

I was speaking to one of my really good friends the other day, we were talking about life and what we learned in school. What did we learn? I mean, are we getting prepared to the "real" life, or should I say the "adult" life? Would you say that you got to learn the most important skills for life in school?

Photo by Debby Hudson on Unsplash

I remember learning about Swedish and English, about math and geography, but what about the real stuff? I don't remember ever learning anything about mortgages, loans, pension, the stock market, paying bills, insurances, having my own business or about savings accounts, and so on. Is it not crazy?! I mean, these things are obviously something we really need to know in the society we live in today. I had to wait 7 years in a queue before I could rent an apartment here in Stockholm, I was 27 years old. My parents didn't have any savings for me, so I could never buy an apartment, not even get a loan that would have been big enough so I would be able to buy an apartment. I didn't know. My parents, who are great in so many ways, didn't inform me about all of these things. I'm still trying to figure these topics out, honestly, I think my parents don't really understand it all either.

Shouldn't school be a way to prepare us for the grown up world? What are we doing? If I look at the things I learned in school and compare them to the things (I think) I should have learned, I'm pissed! Come on!?

This is what I wished they would have taught me in school: 
  • Pension – What are my options? How many years do I need to work? 
  • Insurances – Do I truly need it? When is it important? 
  • The legal system – What am I allowed to do? What am I not allowed to do?
  • Starting your own company – What does it truly mean? How can I afford it?
  • Mortgages/Taking loans – How much do I need to get a loan? What does a house cost?
  • The stock market – How much should I spend? What risks should I avoid?
  • Environmental risks – Can we go on living like we are doing today? Are we harming our planet?
  • Politics – In what way does it effect us? What powers do we, the public, have?
  • Food – What does an animal rich diet do to your body? Is it all bad to eat gluten? 
  • Health – What is it really about, just food? How much exercise is enough?
  • Meditation and self control – Why are we never taught about mindfulness and the powers of meditation?
... and so much more, I'm sure!

Don't you think it's time to change our education system? I'll leave that with you.




Comments