From Meat lover to Plant-based diet


How did the idea pop in to my head?
When I grew up my mum and dad always served me dishes that included dairy products or/and meat products. I loved it! There is even an image of me eating ribs with my whole face. Not a joke. Very seldom did I eat that much green. If I look back at my life, I don’t think I had one meal without at least one animal product growing up. I was born and raised in Sweden where it is very common to eat fish, chicken, cow and pork. It is also very common to drink milk or eat cheese from cows or goats. And what about eggs? Well, I used to love them! And yes, on top of the eggs I always had a pink thick string of caviar from the Swedish brand “Svennes” or “Kalles” before I took a huge bite. That was my life until the beginning of autumn 2017 – I was then 27 years old.

Me and my boyfriend Sam – who is way more into food than I am – started watching documentaries about the meat industry around the world but also about vegan communities. It didn’t take long for both of us to have uncomfortable feelings about eating animal products. Sam was the one who got me more and more interested in eating more plant-based food and not too long after we cut out meat from our diet, I had trouble eating the cheese as well. Something just happened in me. I used to love cheese so much and I always told Sam that it would probably be most difficult to cut out the cheese and the chocolate. I was wrong. Cutting out meat, cheese and chocolate turned out to be very easy. My tastebuds had changed. The thought or idea of eating meat today is almost scary, I just don’t want it anymore. Also, thanks to Sam’s interest in vegan food, I think I had it easier than others to make the transition from a meat diet to a vegan diet.

What was the biggest reasons for me to turn animal products down?
First it was about my health. The more I got to learn, the more I understood that the processed food we are stuffing ourselves with today can harm us. Many people who get horrible diseases like cancer, lupus or diabetes can feel much better after eating a plant-based diet for example. Listen, I’m not an expert on these things but I can clearly see that the processed and stressed meat we are eating is doing more harm than good. The second reason for eating less animal products is because of the animals. Not only are we mass breeding/producing animals so we can eat them, we treat them horribly. We don’t respect or see these creatures as living earthlings, we just see them as food. This industry is ice-cold and people only have money in their heads. I do not want to support that. Eating animals is not an necessity in today’s society, it’s more a luxury. We get all that we need from the plant-based diet and we can produce more than enough for everyone on earth. The third reason why I choose to have a plant-based diet is because of the environment. The more animals we breed the more land is being used. The math is simple even for me, somebody who hated math in school.

Am I fully vegan now?
It is not that easy. Our society is not build for vegans. I do eat cheese in a sandwich or salad sometimes just because I’m hungry and there is nothing else to buy that could fill my stomach. That’s the truth. I try to always take the vegan option if it is there but I don’t always have that luxury. It’s getting better and better in Sweden though, more restaurants and supermarkets are starting to pick up the trend of eating greener which is good. The biggest problems are to get people around you to understand your new choice of lifestyle. My mum and dad still want to feed me some animal products because that’s all they know. They are open to learn and they are trying, so I love them for that. In different cultures, it can be even harder because it is often seen as very manly to eat meat. I guess that can be a whole new discussion – the philosophy of men being from Mars and women from Venus – but let’s pretend we know better.

So, there it is. This is how it started for me and I’m not saying it’s the best way of life but right now this is my way of life. I don’t judge people around me who eat meat but if they ask me about my diet, I’ll tell them what works for me and what doesn’t work for me.

In the future, if you want, I can tell you what I think about roadkill diet and people having their own farm where they eat everything they grow and breed there.



Thanks to my new diet I have started to eat a lot more different food that I didn't do before. Now I love hummus, broccoli, different salads and mushrooms – food I didn't even like before. 


Comments